09/08/2010

If I were me…


My name is Angélique Baudonnet. I’m 15 and a pupil at Saint-Eugène. I love hanging out with my friends, horse-riding, and listening to music. I'm moody and sometimes boring, but I can be very funny when I want to be!

For this project I chose to use a large format photo of myself on which I superimposed a text that I wrote. The photo is positive; I seem to be happy, almost ecstatic. However, the text about me is very negative.

Here is the text in English:

“This girl expresses nothing. Or maybe just a little happiness emanates from her charming smile. You cannot guess the thoughts of a person just from their glance.
And look at her! Alone and lost in her youth, rejected by everything that surrounds her, she’s being a hypocrite. Her whimsical character, her way of believing that the World is beautiful and never admitting to herself that anything can be wrong, feeling bad at the slightest provocation, blaming the whole World although the World does nothing more than turn, and always thinking she’s lonely, though she is surrounded by friends and family.
She is still a naïve little girl, so naïve, who doesn’t want to be understood or to have people feel sorry for her. She needs support, someone to rely on, a presence. I hate her, I can’t bear her, I want to kill her, and she is in my worst nightmares. Nobody really knows her, but I know her by heart.
And I know that behind this façade, her big blue eyes feel a little too often alone. She still knows nothing of life, she must learn. Dream on little girl, because it is only in your dreams that your life will have concrete meaning!
Pay attention! Don’t you realise it’s for you that she reveals her unhappiness!”


I want to show myself as I see myself and not as people tend to see me. Everybody thinks that I'm nice, cute, but the truth is that I often hate myself. Through this work of art, I am trying to make you understand who I am.

I'm not as you think I am. I do not like myself, I am no one special and I dislike myself for no particular reason; “We love without reason, and without reason one hates” said Jean-François Regnard, the eighteenth century French writer and playwright.

The photo, then, shows how people see me and the text lets you know how I see myself.

This is not an original idea; many others have addressed the issue of self-perception and being misunderstood in their work:

Plus fort que la haine by Tim Guenard is the story of a child who suffers until, one day, he finds hope. I would like to find this hope which would allow me to fight against all the trials of life.

Cf.: http://www.fraternet.com/magazine/loi1702.htm

Où es-tu? by Marc Levy is the story of a couple who are in love but who do not want to admit it.
Like them, I find it difficult to express how I feel about someone, or even to admit my mistakes.

Cf.: http://www.evene.fr/livres/livre/marc-levy-ou-es-tu--7985.php

Angie by the Rolling Stones is a bitter-sweet song which echoes my feelings about this world.

Cf.: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXRExocnpUw

I have chosen a portrait from the MAAVA collection which comments my own portrait: it is a melancholic black and white photo by Vasco ASCOLINI entitled Firenze from 1987. We see the silhouette of a woman, sitting. There is a symbolic contrast between the light and the darkness, between presence and absence (she is there but we do not recognize her). We do not know who she is, what she is, what she is doing there, why she should interest someone else (i.e. the photographer)… questions I often ask of myself.

In my photo there is a contrast too, between the radiant girl with the Mona Lisa smile in the picture and the tirade against her.

Both photos are about being and seeming to be…

Cf.: http://www.devoir-de-philosophie.com/dissertation-faut-opposer-etre-paraitre-2180.html
Cf.: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasco_Ascolini


Si j’étais moi…

Je m’appelle Angélique Beaudonnet et je suis élève à Saint-Eugène. J’aime être avec mes amis, monter à cheval, et écouter de la musique. Je suis souvent d’humeur changeante et ennuyeuse mais je peux être très drôle quand je veux !

Pour ce projet d’autoportrait, j’ai pris une photo de moi-même et sur celle-ci j’ai superposé un texte que j’ai écris. La photo, agrandie, renvoie une image positive ; je parais heureuse, presque en extase. Le texte commente l’image de la fille de façon très négative.
Mon texte :

Cette fille n’exprime rien. Si, son sourire enjôleur dégage un peu de bonheur. Mais, on ne peut pas deviner les pensées d’une personne dans son regard... Regardez-la, seule et perdue dans sa jeunesse. Abusée par tout ce qui l’entoure, elle reste hypocrite. Elle est fantasque. Elle croit que le monde est beau, et elle n’admet pas que tout est faux. Elle se sent mal dès la moindre persécution. Elle en veut à la Terre entière alors que la Terre ne fait que tourner. Surtout, elle croit être seule alors qu’en fait elle est bien entourée. Mais elle n’est encore qu’une petite fille naïve, naïve, qui ne veut pas se Faire prendre ou se faire plaindre, qui a besoin d’un soutien, d’un pilier, d’une présence. Je la haie, je veux la tuer, elle est dans mes pires cauchemars. Personne ne la connait vraiment, mais moi je la connais par cœur, et je sais que derrière cette façade, ses grands yeux bleus se sentent un peu trop souvent seuls. Elle ne connait encore rien de la vie, il lui reste tout à apprendre. Vas-y, continue, continue de rêver petite gamine, car c’est seulement dans tes rêves que ta vie aura un sens ! Mais enfin, c’est pour vous qu’elle dévoile ses maux !

Je veux me montrer comme je me vois et non pas comme les gens ont tendance à me voir. Tout le monde pense que je suis agréable, gentille, mais la vérité est que, souvent, je me déteste. Par cette œuvre d'art, j'essaye de vous faire comprendre qui je suis réellement.

Je ne suis pas comme vous le pensez. Je ne m'aime pas, je ne suis pas spéciale et cela sans raison précise ; « Nous aimons sans raison, et sans raison on hait » a dit Jean-François Regnard, l'auteur et dramaturge français du 18ème siècle.

La photo, alors, montre comment les gens me voient et le texte vous fait comprendre comment je me vois réellement.
Ce n'est pas une idée originale ; d'autres personnes ont abordé la question de la perception de soi et du regard de l’autre dans leurs œuvres:

Plus le fort que haine de Tim Guenard est l'histoire d'un enfant qui souffre jusqu'au jour où il trouve l'espoir. Je voudrais moi aussi trouver cet espoir qui me permettrait de me battre contre toutes les épreuves de la vie.

Où es-tu ? de Marc Levy est l'histoire d'un couple qui s’aime, mais qui ne veut pas l'admettre. Comme eux, je trouve difficile d'exprimer mes sentiments, ou même d’admettre mes erreurs.

Angie des Rolling Stones est une chanson aigre-douce qui résume bien mes sentiments sur le monde.

Cf.: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXRExocnpUw

J’ai choisi un portrait parmi la collection du MAAVA qui fait écho à mon propre portrait : c’est une photo mélancolique en noir et blanc par Vasco ASCOLINI intitulée Firenze de 1987. Une femme est assise, cachée en contre-jour. Il y a un contraste symbolique entre lumière et obscurité, entre présence et absence (la femme est là mais on ne la reconnait pas). Nous ne savons pas qui elle est, ce qu’elle est, ce qu’elle fait là, pourquoi elle intéresse quelqu'un d’autre (le photographe en l’occurrence)… des interrogations que je porte sur moi-même.

Dans ma photo aussi il y a un contraste : le visage radieux de la fille au sourire de Joconde contraste avec le texte très négatif sur elle.

Les deux photos parlent d’être et de paraitre…

No comments: